Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
Coronavirus (COVID-19) vs. Flu
How does COVID-19 compare with the Flu? – COVID-19 is more contagious than the flu (each confirmed case infects 2.2 others). The flu kills about 0.1% of the people that catch it, while the COVID-19 virus may kill as high as 2%. This is the same rate as The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918.
- Coronavirus: COVID-19. Be vigilant. Be prepared. Don’t panic. – New two-page worker centered flier offering advice and more information about preparation and protection.
- The Problem with Telling Sick Workers to Stay Home – The culture of the American workplace puts everyone’s health at unnecessary risk.
- Latest on COVID-19 in WA – AFT represented healthcare facilities are hit by Covid-19.
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 9 in Washington state – 100 cases in 15 states. Immigration Services closed, lives disrupted across the states due to school closings, event cancelations, etc.
- NYC School Shuts Over Coronavirus Fears – Washington State health officials announced four more deaths from the coronavirus; three of the victims were residents of a Seattle-area nursing home
- Washington state declares state of emergency – more than 50 patients report “respiratory symptoms or hospitalized with pneumonia.”
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Update— CDC is hosting a conference call explaining “What Clinicians Need to Know to Prepare for COVID-19 in the United States.”
COVID-19 cases jump in Iran as Italy toll rises: Live updates – Iran announces 205 new infections in last 24 hours as Italian authorities say the number of cases has exceeded 1,000.
- South Korea
Over 4,200 infected with COVID-19 in S. Korea, 26 dead – most dead are 50-80 with comorbidities; most isolate themselves because healthcare is overwhelmed.
COVID-19 cases surge in South Korea, Italy, and Iran – Iran reported 385 more cases, up sharply from 205 reported yesterday, for a total of 978 cases. Eleven more people died, raising Iran’s fatality count to 54. Of today’s new cases, 170 were from Tehran.
To contain COVID-19, Japan urges companies to let employees work from home – workplace culture in Japan being reexamined to curb spread of virus.